Sick, injured animals, strays and lost pet emergencies

As animal-lovers ourselves, the team here at Normanhurst Vet Practice know how anxious you feel when your pet suffers an injury or is simply not well. So, it is important to know how to help any injured animal you might find on your own property, or if emergencies occur while out and about in our area. Also, should your beloved pet go missing, it’s good to have a plan of action to help find them.

If your family pet, or an animal you have found, needs urgent help

When an emergency strikes, our team here at Normanhurst are available just by making a call to 02 9489 6000 between 8am and 7pm Monday through Friday; and at weekends: 8am – 4pm each Saturday, and 10am to noon on Sundays. Our mobile vet service is also available and may be helpful when an animal needs assistance in a hurry.

Outside of these hours, NEVS, the Northside Emergency Veterinary Service, 335 Mona Vale Road, Terry Hills, operates 24/7 every day of the year.  Simply phone (02) 9452 2933 for access to this dedicated emergency team. More information is available at

Alternatively, for after-hours emergencies, you can take your sick or injured pet or found animal to SASH (Small Animal Specialist Hospital). SASH are located at 1 Richardson Place, North Ryde and they offer a 24/7/365 service. You can call them on (02) 9889 0289 so they are expecting you.

An action plan to help locate stray or lost animals

It’s natural to panic at such moments, but it’s better to have a plan to follow to help locate the missing animal. Here’s a quick checklist to help with pet emergencies:

  • Contact your local council or the one in the area where your animal was lost
  • Contact neighbouring councils in areas where the animal might have strayed
  • Contact all local vet practices and clinics in areas where your lost animal might have been found
  • Put up posters, including a photograph, on all relevant area noticeboards
  • Post ‘help’ messages on social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter
  • Undertake a walk around the community, knocking on doors and asking people you meet


Make sure you provide any local councils, plus vet practices and clinics that you contact, with up-to-date microchip information and your full contact details.


A found pet will be cared for by the council in whose area it was found. Here are some useful contacts:

Note: Animals found in Hornsby Shire may also be taken by a Council Ranger to Hawkesbury Companion Animal Shelter, 10 Mulgrave Road, Mulgrave NSW 2756. You can contact them on 02 4560 4644.